Read more about our Truly Amazing Woman of the Monthlisten
On today's show, meet the founder and creator of The Piggy Box, who has created an easy-to-use online piggy bank that is helping kids learn and practice intelligent money skills.
Marguerita Cheng’s Diary of a CFP® Pro: A year of tips to help women flex their financial muscles
April-May 2022: Welcome to “Diary of a CFP® Pro,” from author Marguerita Cheng — I am thrilled to celebrate financial literacy for two months this year! And I can’t think of a better gift to women than to get a handle on our finances. Money is power, in every way. Some may want to save more or invest more wisely. Others may need to learn to find ways to work better on money issues with their partners or make sure there’s enough money for their kids to attend college.
Whatever your financial goal, I hope my new book will ensure your success: Diary of a CFP® Pro. This is the second book I am publishing is the sequel to my Wealth Management Rules: 12 Tips to Help you Harness your Financial Know-How, available on Amazon at WealthManagementRules.com.
Each month in 2022, we are rolling out a new chapter on the new book Inkandescent Publishing so you can begin immediately to flex your financial muscles. See our outline below. Scroll down to read the introduction.
Don’t miss a thing at DiaryofaCFPPro.com:
- Introduction: 7 Important Tips You Need to Know Now About CFP® Professionals
- January: 6 Personal Planning Tips to Help Navigate the Pandemic’s Financial Impact
- February: 10 Tips for New Partners to Seamlessly Plan Together
- March: Celebrate International Women’s Month with 6 Tips for Financial Mindfulness
- April: How to Recession-Proof Your Retirement Income Plan
- May: Preparing Financially for a Baby
- June: Congrats, grads! Now Start Tackling Your Student Debt
- July: Independence Day — Here’s What I Wish I Knew at the Start of My Career
- August: 4 Ways to Cut Childcare Costs
- September: How to Protect Your Elders from Financial Fraud
- October: The Importance of Estate Planning: Create Your Legacy
- November: When Impact Investing Is Worth It
- December: How to Protect Your Credit Cards Online
You are invited: Every Friday at Happy Hour, 5 pm EST, please join me for 15 minutes of financial insight on my weekly podcast and video show, Margaritas with Marguerita Cheng, CFP® Pro. Hosted by my producer Hope Katz Gibbs, we record each episode live on facebook.com/hopekatzgibbs. Hope’s producers then work their magic to polish the episode as a podcast for iTunes, Spotify, iHeart Radio, and the Inkandescent Radio Network: MargueritaChengRadio.com. Each episode is also featured on my YouTube channel MargueritaCheng.tv, and on my website: MargueritaCheng.com.
To get you started:
- MargueritaCheng.tv — You’ll find the video interview above with Bonnie Yam, who shares insight into how women can improve their knowledge of financial matters to gain financial security.
- On MargueritaChengRadio.com — You’ll find dozens of podcasts, including the one featured above with Esther Diaz, founder of the Piggy Box; she’s a woman determined to teach us why it’s never too late to start teaching your kids about money!
I look forward to meeting you! Don’t hesitate to contact me via email.
What You Need to Know About Hiring a CFP® Pro
As a CFP® professional, I get a lot of questions about financial topics. Some, like whether you should have a budget and why your net worth matters, are simple to answer.
Other questions require a more in-depth look into your situation and the guidance of a qualified financial professional. If you’ve never worked with a financial advisor before, you might have many questions about the CFP® certification itself.
Here are seven essential answers to the most frequently asked questions about CFP® professionals.
In this chapter, you’ll learn:
- When should I hire a CFP® professional?
- Is it expensive?
- Does a CFP® receive a commission?
- Are all CFP® professionals fiduciaries?
- How often does a CFP® recommend updating a financial plan?
- Will she stay with a client long-term or rotate me among other advisors?
- Does a CFP® professional provide more than investment advice?
- Click here to read all about it!
About Marguerita M. Cheng: The founder and Chief Executive Officer of Blue Ocean Global Wealth, Rita has been a spokesperson for the AARP Financial Freedom Campaign and a regular columnist for Investopedia & Kiplinger. Previously, she was a Financial Advisor at Ameriprise Financial and an analyst and editor at Towa Securities in Tokyo, Japan.
Certifications include: CFP® professional, Chartered Retirement Planning CounselorSM, Retirement Income Certified Professional® and a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst. As a Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards (CFP Board) Ambassador, Marguerita helps educate the public, policy makers, and media about the benefits of competent, ethical financial planning. She serves as a Women’s Initiative (WIN) Advocate and subject matter expert for CFP Board, contributing to the development of examination questions for the CFP® Certification Examination.
Awards: Ameriprise Financial Presidential Award for Quality of Advice and the prestigious Japanese Monbukagakusho Scholarship. In 2017, she was named the #3 Most Influential Financial Advisor in the Investopedia Top 100, a Woman to Watch by InvestmentNews, and a Top 100 Minority Business Enterprise (MBE®) by the Capital Region Minority Supplier Development Council (CRMSDC).
Rita also volunteers for several organizations: CFP Board Disciplinary and Ethics Commission (DEC) hearings, she has also served on the Financial Planning Association (FPA) National Board of Directors from 2013 to 2015 and is a past president of the Financial Planning Association of the National Capital Area (FPA NCA).
Click here to learn more about harnessing your financial freedom: